SANDAG Bike Presentation and more

Hillcrest Town Council April 2016 Newsletter

Date: Tuesday, April 12, 2016
Time: 6:30 pm
Location: Joyce Beers Community Center at The Hub | Hillcrest Market
(formerly known as the Uptown Shopping District)

** Agenda

6:30 pm: Community Representatives & Public Comment ***

7:00 pm:Rock & Roll Marathon Presentation (#Rock)

7:15 pm: SANDAG Update on Hillcrest Bike Route

8:00 pm: Meeting Adjourns

Steering Committee – December 28, 2015

HILLCREST TOWN COUNCIL
STEERING COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES

DECEMBER 28, 2015

Present: Luke Terpstra (Board Chair); Mark Zangrando (Board Treasurer); Benny Cartwright (Board Secretary); David Coben (NIC Chair); Rich Gorin; Roy Dahl.

Call to Order
Chair Luke Terpstra called the meeting to order at 6:01 pm.

January 12 Community Meeting
-Luke will not be present; Vice Chair Kath Rogers will preside.
-The new Domino’s Pizza store on Washington St. will provide pizzas, estimating for 50 attendees. HTC will purchase beverages from Domino’s. Benny will get in touch with Ann Garwood, so she can pass on the contact info. to set this up.
-Benny will send meeting details to Char Lou so she can send out the newsletter.

Confirmed meeting agenda items:
-Community/Hospital Representatives
-Public Comment
-Kath will announce the upcoming Board election cycle (2 openings).
-7 pm: Claudia from BURTECH will give an update on the University Ave. Pipeline Project.
-7:30 pm: Open discussion from community members about priorities for 2016. Attendees will be asked to go around the room and introduce themselves at this time.

February 9 Community Meeting
-Possibly a candidate forum between Chris Ward and Anthony Bernal. Ward has confirmed that either February or March work for him; still waiting to hear from Bernal (Luke will follow-up).
-Parking committee discussion to report on proposed 4-way stop signs at 8th & Robinson.

March 8 Community Meeting
-Elections
-Possibly a candidate forum between Chris Ward and Anthony Bernal. Ward has confirmed that either February or March work for him; still waiting to hear from Bernal (Luke will follow-up).

-Brandon Smith from the Alpha Project is willing to give an update at any time.

Treasurer’s Report
-Current bank account balance is $5,575.01.
-Luke will be reimbursed $20 for paying a CA filing fee.

Neighborhood Improvement Committee Report
-Per steering committee suggestion, NIC has scaled down the size of the Feb. 27 Clean TEAM event to expect approximately 50 volunteers.
-By the Jan. 12 meeting, fliers and other promotional material for the Feb. 27 cleanup will be ready.
-David is working with Todd Gloria’s office for dumpster(s).
-David is securing a location to place the dumpster(s).
-Still discussing storage options for Clean TEAM supplies. Will send a proposal to The Center; also have an offer of space from HBA for free in East Village.

Joyce Beers Center Upgrades
No report. Luke will check-in with Rich Grousset.

Uptown Parking Board
-Roy reported on the recent election. Char Lou Benedict is now President of the Uptown Parking District board. Chris Shaw is now the chair of the Hillcrest Subcommittee. Bruce Reeves of ACE Hardware Hillcrest is also on board now. Roy Dahl and Tim Gahagan remain as Hillcrest resident seats.
-Hillcrest Subcommittee is considering putting stop signs at 8th & Robinson. Will report back.

Media Relations
-Benny will touch base with local Realtor Preston Webb, who has requested updates from HTC for his “Hillcrest News.”

Bylaws
-Discussion continues on the bylaws. The board or a subcommittee will need to really sit down and present a final draft when we are ready to finish this process. Once ready, will take the suggested revisions to the full membership for a vote. After bylaws are done, will begin the non-profit filing status process.

Adjournment
Mark moved and Rich seconded a motion to adjourn at 7:05 pm. Unanimous.

Submitted by: Benny Cartwright, Secretary.

Steering Committee – April 27, 2015

Hillcrest Town Council
Steering Committee
Meeting Minutes from April 27th, 2015

Present: Luke Terpstra (Chair); Benny Cartwright (Secretary); Mark Zangrando (Treasurer); Rich Gorin; Nancy Moors; Roy Dahl.

Call to order: The meeting was called to order at 6:02 pm by Luke Terpstra.

May 12 HTC Meeting:

Todd Gloria will be the featured speaker. It was decided to make him be the only speaker for the night since community members will likely have questions.
Next Steering Committee Meeting:

Because the next Steering Committee Meeting falls on the Memorial Day holiday, it was decided to move the meeting to Monday, May 18.
June 9 HTC Meeting:

Ideas for speakers at the June meeting were solicited and Luke will reach out to Stephen Whitburn at San Diego Pride to invite him to give a preview of the year’s Pride events, scheduled for July 17-19.
July 13 HTC Meeting:

Will discuss topics at next Steering Committee.
Parking:

Roy mentioned angled parking issues. Essex St. is being looked at to install angled parking, and possibly some bulb outs, which cost about $60K each. The parking group would like to present this plan to the community soon, but they aren’t quite ready yet.
Lunch Loop Hillcrest Trolley:

The Hillcrest Trolley will launch a “Lunch Loop” on May 18 to shuttle people from the hospital district into the core of Hillcrest, in hopes of getting people to stop driving into the neighborhood for lunch. The hours will be 11:30 am to 1:30 pm and the “pilot” program will run through July 18.
Treasurer’s Report:

There is $2,232.18 in the bank. A check from UCSD Health is in the mail.
Joyce Beers Community Center: *ACTION

Luke moved and Nancy seconded that the Hillcrest Town Council purchase items to upgrade the Joyce Beers Community Center – up to $2,000 – which will be reimbursed by UCSD Health. Items will include electronics and audio/visual equipment. All voted in favor.
Facebook and Twitter:

Benny has been added as admin of the Facebook page, and Dave McCulloch removed. We will get the Twitter password from Dave. Everyone post away!
Fliers:

Generic fliers announcing the monthly HTC meetings were distributed. Members will post on bulletin boards, etc.
Nonprofit Status:

Nancy will contact attorney Graham Hollis to see if his firm does pro bono work (or if he has a recommendation for one who might be willing to help).
Adjournment:

Luke moved and Benny seconded a motion to adjourn the meeting at 6:56 pm.
Submitted by: Benny Cartwright, Secretary